These delicious little creations take a little bit of skill, but I know you can do it! They are a healthy alternative to buying candy, which would be loaded with refined white sugar and gross additives. The ingredients are simple and taste AMAZING. I gave one to my dad, a sweet connoisseur and he simply said, “Wow. That’s incredible.” Win! The holidays are right around the corner, so why not create and eat something you know will be BETTER for you in the long run. No refined sugar in these babies.
Almond Butter Filling
3/4-1 c. almond butter
Pumpkin Spiced Caramel Filling
1 1/2 c. pitted dates, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and drained
1-2 TBSP culinary coconut milk
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. maca powder (optional)
Yields 24 caramel pumpkin butter cups. No baking required, just freezing!
You will also need:
3 – quart-sized zipper, plastic baggies; 2 – muffin trays; 24 paper muffin liners; scissors; blender
- Combine the first three ingredients for the vegan chocolate in your blender, and blend on low to combine. With the lid off, add the cocoa powder slowly. Continue to blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the chocolate into a quart-sized plastic baggie, zip shut and set inside a bowl to help keep it upright. Set aside.
- Scoop almond butter into a quart-sized plastic baggie, zip shut and set aside.
- For the pumpkin spiced caramel filling: place soaked dates and milk in your blender, and blend on low to start incorporating. Add spices and maca powder (if using). Puree the dates until they are a smooth, creamy paste free of any lumps or skins.
- Scoop date/caramel filling in the last remaining quart-sized plastic baggie, zip shut and set aside.
- Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Carefully cut a small corner off the baggie containing the chocolate (about a 1/4″), on the non-zipper end. You want to create an easy pour spout to fill each of the 24 cups, ~1/4″ full of chocolate. The chocolate will be very runny, so be sure to move quick and tilt the baggie up in the air after each cup is filled, to not waste any.
- Next, cut a small corner off the baggie containing the almond butter (see below). Put about 1-2 tsp. of almond butter in the center of each muffin tin.
- Place trays in freezer to set up a bit, about 10-20 minutes…
5. Now, cut a hole in the corner of the baggie filled with the date/caramel filling. Pipe the filling around the almond butter, and fill up the center too.
6. Use a spoon or your finger (I used my finger, cause it was easier) to flatten the caramel filling, gently into the chocolate and almond base.
7. Top with remaining chocolate to cover the filling. Use less than you used on the bottom layer. You can tap the trays on the counter to help smooth out the chocolate and release any bubbles.
8. Sprinkle the top with a tiny bit of Real salt. You can also top with chopped almonds or add a goji berry for some added color. Have fun with it!
9. Place in freezer for a minimum of 3 hours to harden before serving; but overnight is best. Serve immediately after removing from freezer, especially if you made your own chocolate! 🙂 These will not work in the Summer months! haha
I cut my paper cups down so they looked a little nicer for the photo. Which I would do if I were bringing these to a party or potluck. But just to eat at home, we will eat them straight from the freezer!
I think these would be delicious without the pumpkin pie spice too! For a Christmas version you could add peppermint extract and omit the cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and maca. I bet that would be amazing!
What do you think you would try; pumpkin pie spice or peppermint? Any other ideas?
I JUST GOT A “CRAZY” IDEA 💡Would anyone be willing to be part of a food comparison focus group? I’m thinking it would be something like: eat a meal out and then eat a version of that same meal at home, that you prepare yourself; then answer questions about each experience. What do you think?! I would use this “super official data” in a blog post. You all know I’m super big on home cooked meals, and I thought this could be a fun way to see what others notice, in addition to what I already know and notice myself. If you want more info, please comment below! 😊👍🏼✨ Thanks!!
Don't miss a thing!
Subscribe now to get my latest posts and content by email. (You can unsubscribe at any time.)